6 of the Best Family-Friendly Beaches in Lanzarote
Feel the warm sun that makes your back gleam, inhale the crisp, fresh air and smile as you take in the sights of your children laughing gleefully as they play on the shore. Welcome to the beaches of Lanzarote!
Lanzarote is the 4th largest of the Canary Islands, and there's so much your kids can do there. It is known for its volcanic landscapes, heavenly beaches, and lava fields with red, orange, and black sand that could easily fool you into thinking you’re on Mars! In Lanzarote, you’ll be surrounded by beautiful scenery. From the astonishingly pretty blue of the sky to the lush palm groves and golden sand beneath your feet. And then there's the breath-taking crystal clear sea. That’s not all, hush! What’s that we hear? Nothing, just quiet.
If you're not sure Lanzarote is right for your family then just wait until we show you 6 of the best family-friendly beaches in Lanzarote.
The first thing that hits you when you come to Papayago beach is the incredibly vivid turquoise water. The sand is white, and it's bordered by a cliff making it well protected. Your family will enjoy sunbathing on this lovely sunny beach. Whether you just want a serene space where you can relax or stunning scenery where you can cool down, believe us when we say that you can be sure that Papayago beach is the right choice for you.
Why Playa Papayago is family-friendly:
- The waters are very calm with few currents.
- The beach is protected from the wind, so your kids can play on the sand unrestrained without you having to worry.
- There are professional lifeguards present throughout the year to ensure you and your children are safe.
- Easy access to amenities like shops, sunbeds, and car parks make it a good choice for families.
Playa El Jablillo
El Jablillo is the kind of beach that is guaranteed to make your whole family gasp in amazement. The beach is set in a shallow cove and the vast blue water offers opportunities for your family to go scuba diving or snorkelling. This won't be a boring day out at the beach, we can assure you of that!
Why Playa El Jablillo is family-friendly:
- It is very easy for you and your family to access.
- The waters are very calm and are protected from the marine currents by breakwaters.
- It is a fun-filled beach where children from the age of 11 can go snorkelling and scuba diving.
- It is naturally sheltered from the wind and tides.
If you’re looking for the definition of a family-friendly beach, look no further than Playa Chica. This breezy, sandy beach features stunning golden sand and calm waters. One of the things that makes this particular beach loved by families from all over the world is that it is great for diving. If you decide to go diving in Playa Chica you’ll discover treasures like an incredible shrimp cave as well as marine life galore!
Why Playa Chica is family-friendly:
- The calm seas make it perfect for families.
- It's small and intimate making it perfect for families seeking a more peaceful day at the beach.
- The sea is full of beautiful fish.
For an epic beach day in Lanzarote, you’ll need beautiful turquoise water, golden sand, a wide variety of water sports, and options for sunbeds and umbrellas. Sprinkle in a few fancy places to eat and drink, and with all the boxes ticked we give you Dorado beach.
Why Playa Dorado is family-friendly
- The water is very calm making it perfect for children
- With plenty of fish, you'll spend hours finding as many different kinds as you can
Grande beach stretches for more than a kilometre so not only can you be assured a quiet spot, but also plenty of space for your kids to burn off some energy. This beach is also a national monument due to the raw beauty of the volcanic formation of Los Ajaches, which is a national monument. However, this does mean that it’s one of the busiest beaches on this list. Being a popular beach does come with advantages such as the amenities. The beach has everything you'll need including sunbeds, aquatic chairs, parking spaces, lifeguards, and showers.
Why Grande beach is family-friendly
- There are lifeguards on site for the safety of your children.
- There are restaurants close by so you and your kids won’t need to worry about what to eat.
- There are lush palm trees to offer shade from the sun if you get too hot.
Playa Famara is six-kilometre, picture-worthy paradise perfect for all who enjoy activities such as kitesurfing and windsurfing. Famara beach is super easy to get to as it has plenty of parking if you happen to have hired a car, but if not you can also access the beach by public transport. We’d recommend staying until the evening so you can watch the sunset while enjoying the beautiful islets of the Chinjo archipelago of Alegran Montana Clara and Roque del Oeste.
Why Famara beach is family-friendly
- It’s great for your older, adventurous kids who want to try a whole host of water sports such as parasailing, paragliding, surfing, windsurfing, bodyboarding, and kitesurfing.
- The shallow calm water makes it perfect for younger kids whilst you relax in the sun and enjoy the beautiful scenery.